Thursday, July 26, 2012

If it's broken, FIX IT!

After 2 years of living in Seoul, the time was right I thought to fix the acne scars that have plagued me since my mid-to late teens.  Living in a society that is much more concerned with physical appearance than my own, I was becoming increasingly conscious of the skin I was living in.  What I was okay with before, was now becoming an insecurity, due to the fact that people I would meet would tell me after 30 minutes of chatting that I should fix my face.  Or I could be more handsome if I treated my scars.

In Canada I had thought about it casually in the past, but because the prices were high and I was a student, I shrugged it off and bit the bullet.  In Korea, skin care and dermatology as well as plastic surgery are relatively cheap in comparison to the western world.  So I began the hunt for a clinic where I could find a dermatologist to "fix my face."  The only problem was, where to go?  In the Apgujeong and Gangnam districts of Seoul, we are bombarded with ads for plastic surgery and skin care.  Trains, subway stations, urinals and buildings are inundated with these kinds of advertising, however very little of it caters to English speakers.  I was a little weary to have to go through the awkward phone conversations trying to book a consultation so I put the task on the back burner.




No comments:

Post a Comment